Frequently Asked Questions
The Geek Part
I’m not very computer literate, how difficult is accessing your online course?
Well we are not entirely computer literate ourselves, so we have tried to keep it as simple as possible. But since it is technology there is always something, right? However, it is very easy to access the course. We feel that hardest part is remembering what your password is.
Do I need a high speed Internet connection to access these programs?
Yes, you will need to have a high speed connection (DSL or cable) to view these video streamed programs. If you attempt to access a course over a dial-up connection the video may not play at all or may buffer excessively. We do not support access over a dial-up connection.
Can the courses be viewed on a MAC as well as a PC?
Yes, courses can be viewed on both types of computers. Here are the requirements for viewing the course:
- Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later
- Safari™ 2.0.4 or later or Firefox 2.0 or later or Google™ Chrome 1.0
- Microsoft Silverlight 3.0
- -Broadband Internet connection (256Kbps or more)
- Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2008,Windows 2003
- Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later, Firefox® 2.0 or later, or Google™ Chrome 1.0
- Windows Media® Player 9.0 or later
- Microsoft Silverlight 3.0 or later
- Broadband Internet connection (256Kbps or more)
Do I need any special hardware?
The computer that you use to access these programs must be equipped with a sound card and speakers or headphones. If you can hear anything over your computer speakers you are fine.
How can I tell if I have current versions of required software?
If your computer has been purchased in the last 2-4 years, it is likely that you already have all the needed software installed. If you want to check software version numbers for Microsoft products, open the application and click on the name of the application located to the left of “File” then on “About.” This will open a screen that will display the software version number. It will also tell you if you have the latest version of the program.
What do I do if I do not have a current version of Windows Media Player, Silverlight or an internet browser?
You can download current versions of these applications for no cost.
- To download the most recent version of Windows Media Player go to: www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/
- To download the most recent version of Silverlight go to: http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight
- To download the most recent version of Internet Explorer go to: www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx
- To download the most recent version of Firefox go to: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
The Online Course Part
Is there technical support?
The short answer to this question is yes. The program has very few technical problems, so there is a very small team of people behind the program for technical support. This means any technical support questions could take a day or two to answer especially on weekends or holidays. But we try!
How many times can I view a module?
Your login ID is good for 3 months. You may view the material as many times as you like during the 3 month window.
What if I leave a session… will it remember where I left off?
Yes, when you log on, your session will pick up where you left off. That does not stop you from advancing forward or going back. How you move through each module or the course is entirely up to you.
Are there handouts?
Yes. The formats are all in PDF format. There are several formats for you to choose from depending on your preference. You can download color or black & white as well as choose from 3 ppt slides per sheet or full sized slides. There are also articles and additional information for you to download located in the same place as the handouts.
*Note: you will need Adobe Reader in order to open and print the handouts and articles. Adobe Reader is a free program that you can download HERE if you don’t have it.
What are all the links for in the course backend?
- Program Catalog: this link bring you back to the main page that you see in the image above.
- History (testing): this will take you to a page that shows every time you have taken a test and if you have passed or failed each time.
- Certificates: this will take you to a page that shows every certificate you have earned throughout the course
- Help & Instructions: this will take you to the help page that will have answers to common help questions.
- Log out
- Viewer Acknowledgement. You would have already agreed to this when you login for the first time
- 7a. [+] : This will expand the Module description/directions.
7b. [-] : this will collapse the Module description/directions
- Start Test: this button will take you to the test for the Module. It does the same thing for every Module in the course.
- This is the link to access the Silverlight Player that plays the lecture and powerpoint for each Module. It does the same thing for each Module.
What are all the icons in the player?
- Full screen mode
- The right screen (the one showing the video with the word “paused” on it in the above image) slides over the bottom right corner of the left screen (the ppt slide in the above image).
- Both the ppt slides and the video are shown at the same time. This is the mode the player is in in the above image.
- The right screen takes over and the left screen is hidden.
- Flips the positions of the screens. If clicked while the player is set as it is n the above image, it would make the video the large screen and the ppt slides the small screen.
- The ppt slide timeline. You can click on any slide in it and the player will jump to that part of the presentation.
- The play/pause button.
- Rewinds the presentation by a few seconds per click.
- Module information.
- Video presentation timeline. You can drag the player to any point on the timeline.
- Volume control.
- Ask a Question window. This allows you to email in a question you have concerning anything in the module.
- Attachments. Here is where you will find all handouts and other articles or information for downloading.
- Help. It will take you to a help screen that is outside of the player.
What are the requirements for maintaining PFLM™ certification and status in our provider database?
Ongoing training through PFLI
Online attendance at an annual update symposium on PFLM™